The Kent GOP is a dynamic, fast-paced environment where a willingness to learn and work hard will be rewarded with a one-of-a-kind learning experience. The Kent GOP is the official Republican Party of Kent County, Michigan. We are regularly rated as one of the most organized and connected county parties in the nation. Our mission is to elect and support Republican candidates, while providing opportunities for conservative-minded individuals to share and promote our ideas.
Our intern program is a key to our success in both election and off-election years. Students that complete the full semester internship will receive a $2,000 stipend. Interns directly interact with candidates, activists, donors, and strategists in addition to perform basic office management tasks like answering the phone and light filing. Under the guidance of the Executive Director, interns have the opportunity to gain hands-on learning experience in areas like communications, fundraising, strategic political operations, event management, and more. Many individual political campaigns share Kent GOP office space, so exposure to campaigns at all levels can enhance the internship experience.
We are looking for enthusiastic, hard-working, curious, flexible, resourceful, conservative-minded college students. We can help you document your experience if that helps you get recognition for your work. If you are looking to build your network, gain experience in campaigns and elections, and have an unforgettable summer – this is the internship for you!
- Minimum twenty hours a week, preferably in 4- to 5- hour blocks, usually between 9 am to 4 pm, in the office or in the field
- Flexibility to work on some weekends and evenings for particular events
- Reliable transportation to and from Kent GOP and for some activities
- Honesty, respect, and positive attitude
Prior experience in campaigns or classes in political science are helpful but not necessary.
Please submit resume and cover letter to Kent GOP Executive Director Mike Sullivan at [email protected]
Daily Tasks and Ongoing Projects
Our office is dynamic and fast-paced, so the tasks listed below are a framework of responsibilities – each intern’s experience will be slightly different depending on availability and skillset. Our goals are variety for everyone and opportunities for more complex and advanced duties based on performance.
- Answer phones, greet visitors, check and direct mail
- Assist with meeting set-up and tear-down, basic office clean-up, etc.
- Update/Maintain Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Website
- Assist with regular and special events (set up and tear down, list management, mailings, etc.)
- Assist with outreach to candidates and volunteers
- Assist Executive Director and Chairman as needed
If interested: please contact Kent GOP Executive Director Mike Sullivan at [email protected]